Due to retirement, Bellevue Public Library seeks a full-time (40 hours/wk) Adult Services Manager. This position reports to the Library Director.
Cover letter and resume with 3 references can be e-mailed to:
or mailed to:
Patty Marsh, Bellevue Public Library, 224 East Main St, Bellevue, Oh 44811
We anticipate beginning to interview candidates around mid-September. Applications will still be considered while interviews are in process.
Position: Adult Services Manager
Hours: Full-Time, 40 hours per week. Daytime, evening, and weekend hours required
Rate of Pay: Pay range for this position starts at $19.60
Generous benefits, including medical and paid time off, are included. Professional growth, including mentoring and participation in regional professional activities, are encouraged.
Reports to: Library Director
Position Description: The Adult Manager oversees all aspects of library services to adults including material selection, collection development, training, and supervision of Adult Services staff. This position works with the Programming Coordinator to develop and present adult programming, and serves as part of the management team.
Personal and Professional Attributes: This manager should have, and openly display, a passion for public libraries and customer service. Curiosity and the desire to consistently deliver library services that are both reflective of community needs and innovative are key in this position, as is the ability to build effective relationships within the organization as well as with patrons.
As a key member of the Library’s management team, the Adult Services Manager will contribute to the planning and implementation of policies and procedures that enhance the Library’s wide-ranging public service initiatives
We are seeking a candidate with leadership and supervisory experience to join our BPL management team, who has the following:
- Strong communication, writing, and speaking skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and issues simultaneously and to appropriately react to changing demands, priorities and situations.
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to effectively speak publicly and make presentations before special interest groups.
- Practice sound conflict management, negotiation, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to apply effective training and documentation techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Friendly, outgoing, and able to build relationships at all levels.
- Is passionate about working in a team-based and customer-focused environment.
Detailed job responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and manage Adult Services department functions.
- Advise the Director on matters related to department and library-wide operations.
- Provide superior reference assistance and readers’ advisory services including information on library services; assist and instruct patrons in using library services, equipment, and facilities.
- Analyze diverse and changing community interests and popular culture trends and ensures proactively that collections and programming which is relevant, current, and easily accessible to the community.
- Maintain a pleasant and inviting environment in the Adult Services department. Interpret library policies and procedures for the public, as well as resolve patron and personnel issues within established guidelines.
- Coordinate selection, development, weeding, and continuous maintenance of Adult Services collections in multiple formats. Strive for collections that are both useful and entertaining.
- Explore new collection development practices, tools and/or vendor services that will improve or streamline processes.
- Manage Library Materials Budget, providing regular updates to Director on fund balances and projected spending.
- Plan, present, and assist staff in planning and implementing programming activities.
- Coordinate outreach programming and promotion of library services to individuals and agencies serving adults.
- Recommend and implement approved goals and objectives for the Adult Services department.
- Conduct effective evaluations designed to strengthen skills and improve productivity of supervised staff.
- Together with Support Services Manager and Youth Services Manager, collaborate and assume necessary administrative responsibilities in the absence of the Library Director.
- In conjunction with Communications Coordinator, work on department related publicity releases and announcements for media, library newsletters, or other publications.
- Attend and participate in meetings related to job responsibilities.
- Ability to work a varied schedule, including evenings and weekends.
Required Education and Experience:
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited library school.
- Working knowledge of library resources.
- Minimum of one year's experience in a professional librarian position.
- Supervisory aptitude and experience.
- Ability to deliver a high level of public service to Library customers.
- Proficiency with Microsoft products.
- A valid driver’s license.