Wood County District Public Library (WCDPL) is seeking a patron-focused, self-motivated person to deliver bookmobile/outreach services throughout the county. The ideal candidate is a team player who can work with a high degree of autonomy while advancing the library’s mission. The successful candidate will bring an energetic and enthusiastic customer service philosophy to the job, can easily handle a multitude of tasks at the same time, and will love to engage children with engaging story-times and other activities.
Some college experience; 2-years successful customer service experience; or other combination of education and/or work experience of equivalent nature. Experience developing and leading activities with young children. Avid reader that loves to talk about books, movies, and music.
Essential Functions of the position:
1. Provides excellent customer service to library patrons of all ages in our diverse community.
2. Provides prompt and accurate assistance to patrons in locating information resources; promotes reading at all times; and assists patrons in finding their next favorite book. Strong computer, Internet use/searching, and eBook/app skills needed. Enthusiasm for leading successful story-times, engaging with youth, and creating effective library programs for patrons of all ages.
3. Drives bookmobile, loads and unloads materials, and ensures proper operation of library vehicles, initiating maintenance and repair as needed.
4. Works at Wood County Jail Library as needed.
5. Implements a schedule of bookmobile stops and outreach visits to schools, day cares, preschools, senior facilities, residential and detention facilities; other institutions, and community locations. Collects statistics and compiles reports as needed.
6. Delivers bookmobile and outreach services to the entire library service district, including participation in parades and community events.
7. Works with representatives of specific groups and organizations (day cares, etc.) to insure the library meets the needs of constituents.
8. Maintains safe and careful operation of library motor vehicles for both staff and patrons; establishes clear safety protocols for the bookmobile and other library vehicles.
9. Maintains all required licensures and certifications, insurability, and clean driving record.
10. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance, including at staff meetings. Attends applicable continuing education and community event opportunities.
11. Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable safety standards.
12. Maintains high degree of professionalism as well as confidentiality in accordance with WCDPL policy, applicable laws and regulations.
Minimum acceptable characteristics (*indicates development after employment):
• Knowledge of: WCDPL policies and procedures*; WCDPL goals and objectives*; driver safety practices; bookmobile practices and procedures*; correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling; office practices and procedures; operating vehicles; acquisition, processing, circulation, statistical, and inventory routines*.
• Skill in: Use of computers; internet searching; modern office equipment, including ability to adapt to changing technology with a positive attitude; operating a large vehicle safely.
• Ability to: Work independently with appropriate training; communicate interest in and enthusiasm for public service work, demonstrate a positive disposition and sense of humor; prioritize work skillfully and efficiently; carry out detailed written or oral instructions; collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; arrange items in numerical order; exercise independent judgment and discretion following policies and procedures (and to make own decisions within); communicate effectively; maintain records according to established procedures; handle sensitive inquiries from and contacts with the public; develop and maintain effective working relationships; travel to and gain access to work sites.
• Requires ability: to stand, sit, bend, kneel, reach, push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds regularly (more than 50 pounds as required); to work outside in a variety of weather conditions; to access all areas of bookmobile as needed.
Reports to: Bookmobile & Outreach Services Supervisor
A. $16.50 per hour ($32,175 per year) minimum, more DOE;
B. Full-time 37.5 hours per week;
C. OPERS retirement;
D. Subsidized single-coverage health & dental insurance available (spouse/family coverage available at employee expense);
E. Optional life and vision insurance;
F. Paid sick and vacation time;
G. Professional development opportunities available.
Submit all of the following via email to AngieBabcock@wcdpl.org with “Bookmobile Assistant” in the subject line.
1. A detailed letter of interest stating why you are the best candidate for the job.
2. An updated resume highlighting applicable knowledge, skills, and experience.
3. The names and current contact information for three (3) work-related references.
4. A completed WCDPL Application available at: https://wcdpl.org/Employment.
Review of applications begins immediately
No calls or inquiries; applicants notified of search status as decisions are made.
Wood County District Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.